Thursday, May 8, 2008

You say "charity," I say "PBR"...

So I dragged my butt down to Crosby Street last night in the name of charity - Housing Works "First Words" Silent Auction and Cocktail Party. And, you know what, it was kinda fun. I thought the whole cash bar thing was gonna be a real downer, but wine was only four bucks, AND they had PBR for three. I like a place that caters to their audience. It was like being at doc holliday's - but without the smell emanating from the bathrooms. There was also free food. I guess I should have realized that there would be the usual cheese/assorted fancy meats/fruit/veggie spread, but thankfully, I had been planning to be drunkorexic for the night and didn't bother to eat beforehand, allowing me to take advantage of those adorable little cherry tomatoes.

I, of course, didn't bid on a book since, whatever. Like it's hard to get a free signed book. My office is filled with them! Oh, also, I'm poor. Slunch has no expense account kids, so those three glasses of wine I drank? Yeah, all coming straight from my pocket. So Housing Works better make good use of the $20 I spent (if anyone points out that three glasses of wine is $12, I will kill you. I also tipped and payed $10 to get in. So, really $25). I'm thinking that it's gonna be by 20 (25) bucks that finally helps doctors and scientists discover the cure for AIDS. Or, at least provide a couple packs of cigarettes to some hard-working, stressed-out smart person. And really, isn't that the most important thing?

Oh, and the most exciting part (not really, that was the relatively cheap booze), people I saw: Ron Hogan and Andy Heidel of Galleycat; Nathaniel Rich, author and son of Frank Rich; Mark Mangan, co-founder of Flavorpill; shiny-haired Sloane Crosley, author and publicist; Elizabeth Spiers, original Gawker contributor who now does other stuff that I can't remember; Alia Habib, publicity manager at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt; John Freeman, former NBCC president; and tons of other people that I just plain didn't recognize but I'm sure were equally important.

And, now, as 5 pm rapidly approaches, I will pretend to do work for another 30 minutes while contemplating whether I want to drink whiskey or beer after this. That is all. Happy Thursday.

--Ladytron

No comments: