1. WordSmith sucks. AGAIN. I posted something vaguely snarky about them last year and was rebutted for being misinformed (which I was, so yes, my bad), but this time, I swear it might be true. I heard from several sources that Wordsmith under ordered books for the event, making certain people question why they sacrificed their holiday weekend to sell 30 books instead of say, 200. Or more. I would like to stress that absolutely no one blamed the Festival for this. I only heard good things about it, but people questioned Wordsmith's ordering practices. I'm betting it has to do with Zack's lack of credit with the publishers, not to mention this. Please stop giving them jobs and focus on the other wonderful independent booksellers in ATL.
2. Parties are fun! The party at the Old Courthouse on Saturday was just as entertaining as the previous year's. Organizer Tom Bell should be proud. I heard there was some delish cheese but the describer seemed unsure of what was in it. But yeah, I guess if you go next year, look out for cheese?
3. Props to the Decatur Presbyterian Church for hosting events in their sanctuary and chapel that might not seem like such a natural fit...ie, The Pornography of Power or Rick Bragg.
4. Robert Olen Butler's event filled up completely, and apparently he gave a great presentation. I heard that in person though, he seems to grant more attention to the cute single ladies than anyone else. Perhaps ROB is still feeling his way out in the single life? We know subtlety has not been is strong point in the past. Or perhaps my source was just an unfortunate victim of too much free booze?
5. Eric Jerome Dickey was also hanging out and was totes sweet. I've never actually read one of his books, but I have heard they are quite racy. I'm happy to hear that he was quite a gentleman and was not acting in the least bit inappropriately (unlike some people, ahem). In fact, I was told that he was very approachable and more than pleased to chat.
6. It was hot there. Although, what did you expect by visiting Atlanta in August?
That's all I've got for now, but let me know if any of you guys made it down south and have anything to add!