Thursday, May 22, 2008

Book clubbing

Ok, confession time. I like figure skating. I didn't grow up in a big sports house, but my mom and I always watched figure skating. I mean, a lot. To the point where I very clearly remember Nancy Kerrigan getting hit in the knee and being REALLY upset about it. So, Tonya Harding has always kinda fascinated me. First of all, back when she was performing, you could always see her deodorant caked all over her armpits and I remember wondering why she couldn't just buy some kind of clear gel. Secondly, her costumes were never that good. And, finally, um, she had her husband whack her competitor in the knee to guarantee her a spot at the Olympics. CRAZY. Oh, yeah, there was also a sex tape and then when she got kinda fat and started boxing.

But now, Tonya's back in the news with a new memoir! I'm totes scoring a free copy of that when it comes out. Anyway, in an interview with Newsweek, TH is claiming that she knew nothing about the attack beforehand and that her husband and his accomplice (who have both changed their names since the incident btw) held her at gunpoint and raped her when she threatened to go to the FBI. Ex-hubby Jeff Gillooly (now Jeff Stone, which is no where near as fun to say) obviously denies. Tonya also claims that her mother used to beat the crap out of her, which her mom also denies but said "If it makes her money, fine." I wonder if my mom would be that cool if I started spreading rumors about her? No, I'm pretty sure she'd take up child abuse right then and there. Is it still child abuse if I'm a grown-up? Hmm...

So now the question is, what to think? And we all know the answer to that - or rather the question: What would Brian Boitano do? - or in this case, What would Brian Boitano think? Well, according to Brian:

"If you publish a book like that, you probably need to do it for financial reasons. If people are going to read it, they have to read it for the entertainment value, and not go by every word as the gospel truth."

Thanks, Brian! I'll keep that in mind when I get my grubby little hands on a copy.

--Ladytron

ps. get the title? book clubbing. 'cause she clubbed Nancy? see what I did there?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I too am fascinated by figure skating - this is partly because The Cutting Edge is one of the greatest movies of all time.

Oooh maybe we should start a skating book club - next up: My Sergei, which had me and all my friends crying next to our lockers in high school.